Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Silver-Lining

This week we're experiencing our week of winter. Rain, wind (like 60mph at times), and cooler (I didn't say cold!) temps have kept me indoors. I'm taking the opportunity to find that long lost running fitness I so desperately miss! This was me yesterday:

After a solid warm-up it was time to see how quick my legs could turn over. The workout: 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1600, 1200, 400. I started at 6:45 pace and accelerated from there. As the belt started moving faster I played the game of "Keep up or Fly off." I choose to keep up! The treadmill is not my favorite, but it does help keep the pace steady and leg turnover moving. The scenery isn't quite as enjoyable, but the benefits are there.

I saw a slew of friends walking by as I finished my warm-down and realized masters swim practice was starting in about 20mins. My legs were trashed from the run and lifting the day prior (lifting is so beneficial, but it sure does hurt! Pain is good...it means my little muscles are growing again).

I wouldn't of been able to hammer out the 10x200's and 10x100 main set without the presence of our amazing coach Hux on deck. Once we hit the base -5 segment of the 200's I wanted to stop. But this is the difference I'm trying to make in my swim training. Just when I was ready to call it quits and thought "am I really accomplishing anything here?" coach looked my way and yelled "only 3 more- GO!" And just like that I was back in the game. When my legs are dead, and my body is tired I need to push harder. I need to feel that kind of pain and discomfort more often so I can swim to my capabilities in races this season! Swimming over 56 mins in an Ironman is NOT acceptable for me. Something has to change! And, I'm learning that actually working hard in the pool can be fun.

I stayed in and finished the workout, and made sure to smile big after! 2 solid workouts, and a very productive day thereafter. Score!

Today I reversed the order. Swam dark and early, then revisited the tready for an easy/short run and the beginning of the Today show.

I hope the sun is shinning where you are. Happy Training, and Keep Smiling!

1 comment:

Christi said...

Sounds like a great workout!