Saturday, June 20, 2009

Back home, safe and sound...

The past few days every time I get on my bike I've been even more cautions and "on guard" than normal. This means I'm actually riding at a point of unnecessary caution and fear because over the past year I've been a changed rider. Exactly one year ago I was riding up the coast on an easy recovery day when a large white SUV made a left turn directly in front of me. I hardly had time to reach for the breaks before my head and left knee took the brunt of the 20mph crash into the side window of the car. The next thing I remember was lying in the middle of the road, being told the driver speed off. I can't even fathom how someone could watch a person nail their car at 20mph and then speed off before even seeing if the person they hit survived the accident. I really wish I could forget this accident happened, but the truth is I think about it every single time I've head up the coast.

This morning I rejoined Swamii's for a quick ass kicking. Before heading out the door I noticed my nerves were a bit on edge. Of course I was scared for the pain that would soon overcome my body, but I was also wondering if I should just stick to the trainer. I feel like the senses are a bit heightened when it comes to race week. Believe me it is NOT the time to have a run in with a car...but cars wouldn't be a problem if I stayed indoors. (oh and the forecast once again called for rain. Seriously!?!?! Enough already!?!?!) It was only a quick consideration. Instead, I said a prayer that myself, and all the other cyclists heading out the door, would come home safe. Thankfully, the cars stayed away and the only thing that came close to killing me were the other swamii's riders. Yup, they elevated my HR to a max, made my quads scream, and eventually killed me and left me for dead. Just before the re-grouping point of the ride a gap formed and I couldn't react fast enough. Time trial over. Time to ride home easy.
When I reached the end of the ride I took a moment to thank God for keeping me safe. We all take a chance when we head out the door for our rides. The sad part is that we can't do much to avoid unsafe drivers who have zero care in the world for the life and health of others.

Be safe out there!

2 comments:

BreeWee said...

Phewwwww, yeah, thank God you were safe and congrats on a year of making it!! I always hear about that Swamis ride from Katya...sounds brutal.

Okay, as for the camera, I got a few places. I have one of those hook thingys that people use when they climb up mountains and I hook it on the strap of my bikini bottoms and camera strap if the waves are big or I am surfing that way I don't lose it. If it is small I stuff it in my top or my back bottoms. I know, kinda gross, id doesnt slide down into my butt, it just stays put at my lowest part of my back... works great...

Hope you have some fun sharkless swims :)

Charisa said...

YEAH for staying safe and awesome job hanging with the Swamis boys :) I say prayers to protect us while we're riding too :) less than a week - fun fun!!