Monday, May 4, 2009

Oatmeal at its best

Not much to report on the training front. Well except to note that aqua jogging does NOT work your calf muscles like running. Man my calfs have been on fire since last Thursdays run interval workout. Last wk was a combination recovery week and start running again week. I struggled to keep my workouts short and within my recovery zones this weekend. You know how it goes: you hear what others are doing and of course everything sounds fun so why not join in!?!?!
I set out for the Swami's ride on Sat and promised that if I got to the Church and my legs were still fatigued from the volume of training up to this week, that I'd turn for home. I didn't want to...but I did. Turns out I was happy I did so. Recovery weeks without actually recovering can mean danger down the road. So I rode easy home. Sunday I returned to the long run loop and suffered. But I was out there, and that's a start. Right!? My lower legs were screaming at me as I wondered how on earth I could feel this bad after only 3-4wks of no running. Half way through the run I wished I could go in for an a.r.t. session. But it was Sunday, and the only person doing massage work today would be me. I spent a good deal of time on the foam roller, using the stick, and muscle stim. Turns out today my legs are feeling great, and I'm ready to get back to work!
Two more weeks hard, and make a few deposits into the bank before spending my next recovery week in Bermuda! Recovery weeks are always tough for me (and most type A triathletes), but somehow I think I'll do ok with the recovery when I'm confined to a cruise ship and beautiful island (except that I'll be with my mom who religiously works out every morning. So she'll keep me from sleeping in too much). Oh, and I've already researched how many miles I'd run if I ran the whole island, and where the best place to engage in open water swimming is :) Hmmmm, maybe I can run to an open water swim in Harrington Bay (I've read this is where a few open water swim races are held, and where Bermuda's triathletes train) I can't wait. Only 12 sleeps until I'll be in NYC and on my way to Bermuda!

One of the benefits of a shorter workout is that I can take a little time to make a yummy breakfast after I get home from the workout. (If I've been out for 5+ hours I down a protein shake and then eat everything in sight, and eat too fast to enjoy any of it). Once back from my "short" 3 hr ride on Sat I made my favorite breakfast treat. It's crazy healthy and I love it! Oatmeal lovers, you have to try it! I'll make it one day over the wknd then take it to work all week. Add yogurt with it and you get some protein too.

Baked Oatmeal:
I'm notorious for making healthy recipe's even healthier. So here's the actual recipe (and ways I tweak it)

2.5C regular rolled oats
1/4 C oat bran
1/4C steel-cut oats
2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
(optional: I add about 1/3C of a mix of wheat germ and ground flax seed)

Mix the above in a large mixing bowl. set aside.

2C milk
1 egg beaten (or 2 egg whites)
1/3C applesauce
1/4C cooking oil (I add another 1/4 C applesauce & only 1T oil)
1/4C granulated sugar (I substitute with about 3T honey)
1/4C brown sugar
(when I make it with apples I add 1/3C of almond butter)

Combine above ingredients, then add to oat mixture, stirring until combined. Roll in 2Cups of fresh fruit (blueberries and small chunks of apples are my favorite. Strawberries are good too. But use fresh berries not dried or frozen! Oh and sometimes I do a tiny corner of the tray with unsweetened coconut and dark chocolate chips ;) mmmmmmmmmmmmm)
Turn into a lightly greased baking pan. You can use either the 8x8 or larger. I use a larger pan because I like it thinner and crispier, but you can make it in a casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until top is lightly browned (for smaller, deeper pans it takes around 40mins).
Its great served with plain yogurt!!

Enjoy! and Happy Training!!

No comments: